Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Joy Ride Gone Bad

On an interesting note, I wrote about my father-in-law yesterday and dubbed him “Ivan The Terrible”. “Why is that interesting?” you may ask yourself. Well it is more ironic because on this date in 1547, the real Ivan the Terrible was crowned Tsar of Russia. Let us wish a happy Teacher’s Day to our Taiwanese educators today. Sad news in the world of racing today as former NASCAR champion Benny Parsons passed away earlier this morning from complications of lung cancer.

Benny Parson



As I have mentioned earlier, The School Girl and her mom dove headfirst into refurbishing our kitchen this past weekend. The old wallpaper had to be removed. There were two layers to take off and it required a snot-like paste to release it from the walls. The walls had to be washed down. Sixty years worth of paint had to be scraped from the trim (yes, 60 years!). And on and on and on…ad nauseum. I was not in the mood to participate in this activity for the entire weekend as I had other chores to do myself to help promote regular household functionality. I found an opportunity to run away and head to the Lewisburg hub of commerce…Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart


I had a pretty uneventful excursion in the store. I had my handy-dandy list to ensure that I did not forget the slightest item. My mind seems to be going off into left field lately, even with me taking a daily dose of Ginkgo Biloba! As I was leaving the store, I got behind a gentleman who, although older than I am, was not that old (50-ish). He did have a severe limp and was having a difficult time getting around. It looked like he was also taking care of a young child maybe less than 10 years of age. I slowed my roll so as not to make him feel rushed or as if I was crowding him when I was stunned silent.

At most larger shopping venues, mechanized riding shopping vehicles are provided for those customers who have difficulties with getting around the stores. The Lewisburg Wal-Mart is no exception. I have noticed many times over the years how younger (teenaged) patrons will ride on these Hover-round type vehicles thinking it to be amusing. This past Saturday, as I was leaving Wal-Mart a young lady had jumped on this vehicle to go for a joy ride and just so happened to be entering the store as myself and the slightly disabled gentleman in front of me were exiting.

The man, leaving with his small child, was exiting towards the left-hand side of the store which is exactly where the door with the “exit” sign is located. At this same instant, the childish young lady on the motorized shopping cart was entering on that same side. She proceeded to halt the cart, whereupon she glared at the limping man and exclaimed, “People walk through here like no one is coming in or something!” and scoffed audibly!

I was flabbergasted! The guy leaving the store turned to look at the young lady yet due to being a classy gentleman said nothing and ignored her. Normally, I would have said something to her; however, I was in such shock I just continued on following the example of the disabled man. Maybe he wouldn’t have wanted this situation to have attention called to it, or at least that is what I have been telling myself. I am so disappointed in myself for not saying anything to the disrespectful punk of a girl. I am more disappointed in the attitude and lack of caring of one youth of my small town which brings the overall opinion of all youth crashing to the ground. I guess I am a better person for letting it go but something makes me wish bad things upon bad people…so raise your glasses to hoping this young lady gets what is coming to her…a cheating boyfriend. Just kidding...or am I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home