Wednesday, January 17, 2007

“He doesn’t know a fore-check from a foreskin!”

Yeah, I had the same reaction when he said it this morning…pure joy and giddiness. “Who is he?” you ask. I am speaking of former Tennessee Titan player, Frank Wycheck, of course. Frank is a member of The Wake Up Zone, the local morning sports talk show in Nashville on 104.5 The Zone with Mark Howard and Kevin Ingram.

Mark, Frank & Kevin


What prompted such a slur? Well, it was directed at Tennessean (the local – only – newspaper in town) columnist David Climer. He was referring to how prior to the Nashville Predator hockey club starting up, Mr. Climer had no idea what hockey was all about. Climer can be interesting to listen to at times; however, his opinions regarding most sports related issues leave a lot to be desired. Just like Frank I used to read his columns in order to point out the glaring errors and moronic statements.

David Climer


My biggest beef with David (as well as with a lot of Tennessee sports fans) is how he seems to stand in line to “go down” on Indianapolis Colts quarterback, Peyton Manning. The last time I checked, we lived in Nashville, home of the Tennessee Titans, not the Colts. People who know me will say I am just jealous since I am a New England Patriots fan but this has nothing to do with it at all. When I turn on the radio or open the paper or even surf the web I fully expect to see material related to local teams. Minus good coverage on the local hockey, I pretty much do; however, they are sure to toss in a piece on Mr. Manning.

Someone might argue that the story is relevant due to them still being in the playoffs. Then where are the columns on Bears quarterback Rex Grossman or Saints running back Deuce McCallister? Nowhere to be found. It seems a little funny to me.

Keeping with the sports theme but on a happier front…HOW ABOUT THEM PREDATORS?! Tonight, our boys are playing division rival and perennial powerhouse, the Detroit Red Wings. The prize at stake this fine day is (at least for one day anyway) is not only having the most victories in the NHL but the most points. Basically, that makes the Preds the best hockey team in the league! It would be a major step towards serious recognition throughout the league by players, coaches and fans alike. The only black marks at this point would be only getting one member of the team voted to the All-Star Game and the networks NOT putting them on television. I guess there is only one way to fix that problem…bring home the cup!

Lord Stanley’s Cup

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but Peyton's not just a Colt, he's a UT boy. And in the eyes of a lot of UT fans I know, a UT boy who makes good in the big leagues is always far more Vol than anything else. I know plenty of locals who follow Manning's career just as closely as they do the Titans, and I'm sure they're happy to see the continuing coverage of him on local sports segments.

2:23 PM  
Blogger LeBlanc said...

Maybe it is the UT hater in me that complained?

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home