Friday, January 26, 2007

Guilty Pleasures

Today is a very important day in history for me. The eastern coast of Florida will be all a-buzz with the celebration of my grandparent’s 50th wedding anniversary! Cheers of “I can’t believe they made it” will echo around the retirement community in which they live. No just kidding…I hope that they can get many more under their belts. Other major happenings on this date include the state of Tennessee being the first in the union to enact a prohibition law way back in 1838. (Guess who might be buying beer today?) Born today were actor Paul Newman (1925), legendary guitarist Eddie Van Halen (1957) and The Great One himself, hockey player Wayne Gretzky (1961). For you Alabama football fans out there, today is a day to drum up the past as former head coach Paul “Bear” Bryant died on this date back in 1984.


What are guilty pleasures? They are things that we really enjoy but are too embarrassed to let anyone know, right? “An example?” you ask. My buddy, Green Machine, well he likes to think that he is a manly man but his love for Justin Timberlake just wouldn’t sit too well with his pastor I bet.

I was lounging around on the sofa last night watching television with The School Girl when I realized that I have several guilty pleasures myself.

It occurred to me that I am a fan of the FOX television show, and soon to be canceled, The O.C.. More specifically I enjoy Adam Brody’s performance as Seth Cohen. His amusing quips and well placed humor tickles me to death…not to mention that the ladies are lovely, too. What other things do “hate to love” I thought to myself and this is what I came up with in no particular order:

Harry Potter: Jo Rowling grabbed me by my shirt collar and thrust me kicking and screaming into her magical world and I haven’t wavered since. I am currently waiting with baited breath (as they say) for the seventh and final episode in the life of the boy hero.

Holiday by Madonna: There has always been something fun and infectious (like Chlamydia?) about that song.

Kelly Ripa: I am normally one to loathe overly perky people but when I get to be home I always have to watch Live With Regis And Kelly…not to mention that Gelman (no he isn’t gay, not that there’s anything wrong with that) is a huge Will Hoge fan.

Gilmore Girls: Ok, again there is funny dialogue not to mention the obscure pop-culture references and the lovely ladies. Uncle Griz agrees with me!

Weird Al


”Weird Al” Yankovic: Maybe this stems from being a kid back when MTV used to show videos but hey, he is smart and funny.

Veggie Tales: Computer generated vegetables putting on skits based on the bible to help educate children while making goofy jokes…yeah, I’m all in!

Hall And Oates: “Why?” you ask…because “Rich Girl”, I may be “Out Of Touch” and you might be a “Maneater” with “Private Eyes” and I may have said in the past that “I Can’t Go For That” but I always want your “Kiss On My List”. (Oh yeah, that was cheesy!)

Kevin Costner movies: The emotions put forth in JFK and Dances With Wolves as well as the love of baseball in Bull Durham, Field Of Dreams and uhh well in For Love Of The Game are just great.

These are just a few of my guilty pleasures; my mind needs a little more ginkgo to coax the rest out of it. You may make fun but I bet your pleasures are worse. I can only hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home