Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas Cheer (Gimme a Beer)

This is my final day of work before the Christmas holiday and I am pretty sure my last blog until after Christmas passes. (I heard cheers, were you clapping? Stop it!). Anyway, I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday and be sure to hug everyone you see (just not me, that is creepy).

Plymouth Colony in present day Massachusetts was founded today in 1620 as William Bradford and the other Pilgrims parked the Mayflower off of Plymouth Rock. On this date in 1913, the New York Times published the first ever cross-word puzzle…and my grandmother is thrilled about it. Birthday wishes go out to Joe Paterno (1926), Phil Donahue (1935) – hey, why not?, Frank Zappa (1940), Samuel L. Jackson (1948) and Ray Romano (1957). A big F-you finger goes out to Jane Fonda who turns really damn old today.


Anyone who knows me understands that by no stretch of the imagination am I a social butterfly, although I do enjoy a good party. The School Girl on the other hand would fit more into that category. I like to hang out with my family and my very few close friends while sneering at strangers and other people that I am not buddy-buddy with. As Randall Graves said in one of my favorite movies, Clerks, “I hate people, but I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic.”

So keeping all of this in mind, I attended a Christmas party with my wife thrown by the Senior Vice-President of the major U.S. insurance company that she works at. I, of course, dreaded the thought of it all but entered with a smile. Nothing says uncomfortable more than having to enter a gated community in one of the more uppity towns in our fair state while driving one of our soon to be dead (and clanking) vehicles, pulling up to the extremely opulent home as the first guests of the evening. Not to mention that my wife happens to be one of the two non-management or vice-president employees who would be attending that evening.

Now please note that even though I was having a well hidden anxiety attack for having to attend a party with rich people that I didn’t know, I was still in a good mood. I was one working day away from a nice four day weekend and I had just procured Nashville Predator hockey tickets. When I called my wife to let her know I was on my way to pick her up from work she asked me, “Do we have any plans for tomorrow night?” This, my fellow men, we all know is a very loaded question. It is definitely unwise to answer with a whole-hearted “yes” or “no” as you may be getting yourself stuck in something horrible, like say a Christmas party with rich, stuffy, old men in ties or you may miss out on some NHL! I answered with the obligatory, “Uhh, why?” Apparently, she had managed to get invited to the company owned suite that her fine institution of business has located at the Gaylord Entertainment Center in downtown Nash-vegas. These are the seats where they serve you dinner (Beef Wellington) and beverages (free beer!). The people that will be attending the game would also be at the party tonight so I had to grin and bear it for the evening.

Nashville Predators


Walking into the home, I was not taken aback by an ostentatious abode but just a really nice homey place. We were made to feel welcome immediately and never once did I feel like I was being talked down to. Oh no, I might be enjoying the company of these people! Two glasses of red wine added to the multiple plates of stuffed mushrooms, bacon wrapped scallops, steak and quail followed by cheesecake sure did put me at ease and into a great mood. My initial plan of coming in, eating, then leaving was completely put out of my mind. Even when one of the creepy VPs told me that my wife was hot and that I couldn’t be offended because he was old didn’t bother me. By the way, when you are younger that my Pops, it doesn’t mean that you can get away with being a pervert but I let it go when he left immediately afterwards.

Dinner Table


We were all stoked for a game of DVD Family Feud when I noticed I had a voice message on my (new sweet-ass) phone. Sister-In-Law had been unable to let our pooch, Fandango, out to do his business because the nephew was sporting a fever. We had to leave. A few Richard Dawson and Hogan’s Heroes comments later and we were out the door headed back to the boondocks. All in all, it was a good night with people that I normally wouldn’t dare hang out with if not forced by The School Girl but...I still loathe people in general. Hey, it’s my thing. That is until tonight when we all congregate again for the beating that we will put on those Buffalo Sabres!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home